Comprehensive Pre-Installation Checklist For Laying Turf
🌿 STEP 1: PLAN YOUR YARD
Consider the Timing
– Prioritise other landscaping tasks before laying your turf. This ensures that you won’t damage the new grass while completing other projects.
Assess the Area
– Evaluate the area for factors like shade, ease of mowing, and water accessibility. Make sure the chosen spot is conducive to healthy grass growth.
👍 STEP 2: CHOOSE A SUITABLE GRASS TYPE
Research Grass Varieties
– Different turf types have varying needs and characteristics. Research thoroughly to understand which type will thrive in your yard.
– Seek advice from turf experts to make an informed choice. Consider future conditions like potential shade, foot traffic, and water availability.
🌟 STEP 3: CHECK YOUR TURF UNDERLAY SOIL
Conduct a pH Test
– Use a pH testing kit to ensure your soil has a pH level between 5.5 and 7. If it doesn’t, treatments are available to adjust the pH.
Evaluate Soil Composition
– A sand-soil base is ideal. For clay bases, de-compact and add sand soil. If you already have a sandy base, consider adding organic matter for nutrients.
Consult Local Suppliers
– If in doubt, consult your local Landscape supplier for soil suitability and other queries regarding your soil and to order your Turf Underlay.
🌟 STEP 4: MEASURE HOW MUCH TURF YOU NEED
– Break your yard into simple geometric shapes to calculate the total square meterage. Use online calculators for accuracy.
Factor in Extra Turf
– Add an extra 5% to your total square meterage to account for cuts around objects like trees.
Place Your Order
– Contact your local LSA supplier to order the turf. Aim to lay it on the day it arrives to ensure its health.
🌟 STEP 5: PREPARE THE UNDERLAY
Eradicate Existing Vegetation
– Use glyphosate or similar herbicides to kill off existing vegetation. A second application may be necessary.
Prepare the Base
– Turn over the existing soil and remove any dead vegetation. Add any required soil to achieve the ideal base.
Check pH Levels
– Re-test the soil’s pH to ensure it falls within the 5.5 to 7 range.
Level the Soil
– Keep the soil 30-40mm below the edge level to accommodate the turf thickness. Ensure proper drainage while leveling.
🌟 WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR
– Proper drainage is crucial. Make sure water doesn’t pool on the lawn or flow towards buildings during heavy rains.
Timing Your Turf Order
– Turf is perishable. Lay it as soon as it arrives to prevent it from drying out or burning.
Early Lawn Care
– Monitor your new lawn for signs of drying out, such as leaf curling or colour changes, and water accordingly.
– The appearance of seed heads indicates stress. Your lawn may need more water, fertiliser, or both.
Need Help Choosing?
Let Grech’s Turf Look After You
Grech’s Turf has been growing quality turf for over 40 years. We’ve stayed in business so long by growing only the best turf, looking after our customers and providing competitive prices.
If you’ve got a question about your choosing a new lawn, laying turf or fixing your current lawn, we’d love to provide you with the right answer. Just ask us!
Australia’s Leading Brands
All Our Turf is Locally Grown
When you buy turf from an Accredited LSA Grower such as Grech’s Turf, you can rest assured you are getting the very best quality & service available.Shop Here